11.30.2005

Walk The Line

With my family in town over the Thanksgiving holiday, we kept a semi-tradition alive by going to the movies. This year's selection was a home run. Like many of you, I cringed when I heard Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon would be doing their own singing, particularly in a story about the most distinctive voice in all popular music. But like just as many of you, I was completely and pleasantly surprised. Nobody sounds like Johnny Cash, and all the practicing in the world won't change that, but Phoenix sang like Cash, and invoked many of his affects and characteristics. Excellent work. And yes, the main actors were noticeably more attractive than their real life counterparts, but I appreciated that. I mean, after all you have look at the screen for two hours, make it look as best you can! If you were nervous about this movie, don't be. Get out there and see it.

Johnny Cash "Cry, Cry, Cry"
Johnny Cash "Drive On"

No comments: