4.21.2009

Camera Obscura "My Maudlin Career"

“This maudlin career has come to an end/I don't want to be sad again…” sings Tracyanne Campbell on the title track of Camera Obscura’s new album. And while I wish no particular harm on anyone, particularly the singer of one of my favorite bands, I selfishly hope she doesn’t get her wish. Her apparent melancholy has resulted in some of the most alternately aching and catchy indie pop songs of this decade, and the new disc is another plentiful helping. Somewhere in a sleepy netherworld where the Everly Brothers provide soundtracks to unwritten David Lynch movies is where you’ll find their sublime dream-pop, and My Maudlin Career continues the winning formula of their earlier catalog. If you didn’t care for their sound before, this album isn’t likely to change your mind. It’s a pretty singular mood born in the rainy gray days of Scotland, staring out the window and daydreaming.

For more info: See the video for the first single "French Navy" here. Preview the title track here. More previews here, here, and here. Visit Camera Obscura on Myspace.

1 comment:

Mowgli said...

You should try Aberfeldy as well, another Scottish band.