9.18.2007

Beer + Flaming Lips = Rock Heaven

Even as I purchased the 18-pack of Miller Lite I still didn't believe it was that easy: all I had to do was buy this beer and I would get two free tickets to see The Flaming Lips? Was I on candid camera? Did they mean standing in line would be free? Was it the actual band The Flaming Lips, or were they showing a movie? Quite happily, the dream turned out to be true. I wasn't exactly a Miller Lite drinker before, but if they keep throwing bones like this my way, I'll drink it hourly for the rest of my life. Seriously, this is a promotion I can get behind!

Poolside at the uber-trendy Palms Resort (peppered with Lite banners, of course) on a breezy Sunday night in Vegas only added to the delightfully surreal nature of the event, which already included a gaggle of dancing heathens in Santa suits, animal-costumed fans, and go-go girls in alien masks. If you've been to a Lips show, you kinda know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, do yourself a favor and don't miss the next one. Wayne Coyne and company have a perfect blend of songs, showmanship, humor, and overall weirdness that is uplifted by a deep and abiding appreciation for their audience. The night kicked off with the encore (really) "Do You Realize?", after which the band left the stage, and returned for the brilliant 15-song concert. I won't go on some "best show ever" rant, but this was most certainly among my favorite shows. And all for buying some beer? I was there and still almost don't belive it.

Photo from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/losanjealous_ryan/1400243079/

Some YouTube action from a fan named Brian Lieberman: http://youtube.com/watch?v=wluqBBMNXz4

No comments: